HERE Technologies, the location data and technology platform, announced the availability of a solution that makes it easier for U.S. departments of transportation (DOTs) to conduct fixed asset management activities, plan capital investments, and deliver infrastructure performance assessments according to federal regulations.
HERE data sources, including HERE map, light detection and ranging (LiDAR) data, and street level imagery, are now accessible within Bentley Systems’ orbit, an on-premises application or cloud service for managing, analysing and sharing reality meshes, extremely large point clouds, imagery, and traditional GIS data.
Now, state and city DOTs can quickly build digital twins, which are highly accurate 3D representations of their physical realities, without the time and cost required to acquire the LiDAR and street-level imagery themselves.
LiDAR data is one of the most powerful 3D reality modeling technologies available. HERE LiDAR data enables agencies to identify and locate fixed assets with high geospatial accuracy, as well as measure, extract, and report on those features. HERE captures the world’s road networks and urban environments with its fleet of LiDAR and 360° camera-equipped vehicles.
With HERE data accessible within Bentley’s orbit, DOTs can efficiently conduct the following:
- Fixed asset management: locate, manage, and maintain fixed assets along the road network.
- Federal compliance: report inventory on all roads as required under the U.S. DOT’s Highway Performance Monitoring System.
- Maintenance and state of good repair: identify, catalogue, and prioritise local infrastructure hazards and improvements.
- ADA compliance: verify that the slope and clearance of sidewalks, curb ramps, and pedestrian paths are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Traffic engineering and operations: develop models of intersections for safety studies and crash reports with full geospatial context.
- Surface transportation planning: combine aerial data to assess road conditions and preliminary designs.
“For decades, HERE location data and services have been used at the foundation of GIS applications and transportation planning,” says, Miranda Ashby-Annoon, senior director of public sector sales at HERE Technologies. “We’re excited to team up with Bentley in providing cities and states with the latest in 3D mapping capabilities for more efficient transportation networks and sustainable infrastructure management.”
“With this solution, HERE’s wide coverage, high quality LiDAR and mobile mapping data is now readily accessible by Bentley users for many use cases, accelerating the return on investment in digital twins across workflows from planning to operations,” says, Robert Mankowski, senior vice president of digital cities at Bentley Systems. “We are pleased that HERE recognises orbit as a provider of mobile mapping data management, analysis, and publishing.”
Follow us and Comment on Twitter @TheEE_io